Wednesday, December 5, 2007

This Barefoot Life


At a book fair a few days ago a mother asked me how I have time to run my business, stating that my hands must be full with two active boys. This is a question I get asked a lot so I thought I'd address it here.

Proverbs 29:15 tells us that a child left to himself will bring his mother to shame. I try to never let my boys fend for themselves, giving them worthwhile activities, projects, ideas and play. This extends to our home-based business, which is a real family (ad)venture. Our time of "working" together is a real joy to all of us.

The boys were taught early how to handle books with care. We are still just as excited by a new shipment of books as when our starter-kit first arrived from Barefoot. We open the boxes together, Maxim (5) being allowed to work with a letter opener on his own while Luca (3) gets a hand from me. Out comes the packing material and we move on to stacking and sorting. Maxim labels catalogs and order forms for me while Luca plays with the empty boxes. The boys have absolute boundaries, knowing which supplies are just for Mama. They have plenty of real-life activity during our "Barefoot hour" but also have their own shelves and drawers in the office that contain molding clay, colored pencils and watercolors. They listen to Barefoot storytime cd's while making paperclip chains or putting together puzzles.

My hands don't seem "full" as long as I've done my duty as a parent in setting their boundaries, training them to help and making their play as interesting as our work.

1 comment:

Jenn said...

I would love to hear more about your home business and how you got started.

Jenn