Friday, March 21, 2008

Discovering the Art of the Picture Book


I've always enjoyed leading our quirky Barefoot Voyage story times where I feel more like I'm hosting "An Evening at the Improv" than reading. After hearing from a parent about the amazing story time at The Eric Carle Museum of Picture Book Art I called a friend, put the kids in the car and made the hour-and-a-half trek. The story time, based on the "Whole Book Approach" developed and led by Megan Lambert of The Eric Carle Museum of Picture Book Art did not disappoint. With two active boys, we'd had enough "experiences" at traditional read-alouds that we no longer attended. Megan put me right at ease, saying it was okay to let Luca (then two) continue to play on the side-lines. He soon enough sat down with his brother to see what all the excitement was about. Afterward, Maxim, four at the time, gleefully announced "That was more fun than playing!" It was and so, two workshops with Megan later, and drawing on my experience in Visual Thinking Strategies as a docent at the Bucksbaum Gallery, I'm extremely excited to announce that beginning Wednesday, March 26th, I will be offering a new story time for children from 10:30-11:30am in the Lichtenstein Center for the Arts' gallery space. This is an interactive process where children are encouraged to discuss the art, text and design of the picture book during the reading of the text. To be held every Wednesday, Lichtenstein Center for the Arts, 28 Renne Ave.

No comments: