Monday, February 16, 2009

Hart to Heart

As the boys and I follow the well-loved pioneer family across the Midwest in the Little House books, we are finding no shortage of what Charlotte Mason calls ideas to initiate habit. We have witnessed consequences to Laura's actions, the sowing and reaping of harvests, and the affects of a naughty heart on one's conscience.

After making the difficult covered-wagon journey twice in one year, we hear Pa tell Laura "We must do the best we can, Laura, and not grumble. What must be done is best done cheerfully." Having seen the cheerful manner in which Laura's parents go about their work, I had to consider my own attitude and what it is teaching our children.

To approach my work with joy requires a dependence on the Lord for his wisdom and grace. His Word tells us the benefits of hard work and the detriments of slothfulness. Jesus lived the perfect human life in which doing the will of His Father and completing His work was paramount (John 4:34).

We can also glean ideas from other women. Jill Hart is the founder of CWAHM.com, whose goal is to help Christian women work from home while maintaining a godly life. Her site is full of encouragement for moms as well as practical and biblical help on topics such as organization, marriage, meals planning and more.
She is now offering a FREE online 3 week course designed to give moms a work-at-home starting place.

Why would I refer CWAHM to a CM mom? I had once made a very costly mistake and Jill responded with gentleness and patience while providing a solution that would work for both of us. Just like Charles Ingalls, her actions speak louder than her words.

5 comments:

Trinity Mommy said...

We LOVE the Little House books and the many wonderful character traits that we can discuss!

Keri said...

I like how you relate The Little House books to good work habits.
I am convinced that work IS good for us,,,especially when we are not grumbly!

Mish said...

Very good message for a weary heart. Today I feel weary and I am glad I was directed to your blog. I am striving to start my day in the Word and prayer, but today I still feel weary. Thanks for the encouragement. I attend a cm group with your sister in ia.
Mish

Richele said...

Hi Mish,
I couldn't find a way to respond to you privately. Moms don't always have lots of time but getting to bed earlier can definitely help your next day's schedule.

If it's weariness from life, just calling on the Lord or taking in one verse will make a difference.

We'll be in Iowa the beginning of March to visit my sister. Hopefully we can meet!

Blessings to you.

B.A.M. said...

I love how many if not all your post always bring everything back to the Lord. You are an encouragemnet and inspiration!! Thanks you!! Angie in GA