Wednesday, March 25, 2009

A Good Measure


Brotherly love was not being exercised on this particular morning. Chores had been finished early, allowing the boys some playtime before lessons officially began. Within minutes their voices escalated as they began to blame and accuse one another for a mishap at the Lego table.

Now my boys can recite "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you" and many is the time I have heard them sweetly singing "the golden rule" as they go about their day. I wanted them to experience what they already knew in their minds though, to have that personal knowledge and understanding from within that Charlotte Mason calls "the science of relations."

Setting flour, a measuring cup, spoons and two plates on the island, I asked Max to read Luke 6:38, which I had copied onto a card. They then set to work following the "recipe."
Give, and it will be given to you, a good measure, pressed down, shaken together, and running over, they will give into your bosom. For with what measure you measure, it shall be measured to you in return.

The boys put a plain measure onto the second plate for comparison. Upon weighing the flour --both one cup -- we found the "bad measure" to be 5.45 ounces while the "good measure" weighed 9.45 ounces!
Luca experiencing a measure of potatoes his brother gave "unto his bosom."

Miss Mason encourages us to "present the right idea at the right time" then practice "the art of standing aside." What wisdom! No lecturing, no giving of answers but keeping my mommy-mouth shut and letting them enjoy their work while drawing their own conclusions.

7 comments:

Jeanne said...

Great idea!

You are such an inspiring mum, Richelle

Jeanne

{ jamie } said...

I love this, and so glad you submitted it to the CM carnival!

Barb-Harmony Art Mom said...

This was a fun post to read and the photos told the story so well.

Great way to tie in our scriptures and their meanings to little ones.

Barb-Harmony Art Mom

keri said...

Neat...
A visual lesson to be learned!

Marie said...

What a great visual lesson. The pictures speak volumes. Great Job.

Jeanne said...

I'm so glad you submitted this post to the carnival. It really spoke to me...as I remarked above!!

I do hope I haven't upset you with my comments about water divining...it certainly was not my intention!!

Jeanne

Richele said...

I appreciate everyone's comments regarding this post.

Jeanne, your post about water divining was only thought-provoking, certainly not offensive!