Saturday, May 16, 2009

Overcome by Blessings

All these blessings shall come upon you and overtake you, because you obey the voice of the Lord your God. Deuteronomy 28:2

During our morning refreshing we have been going through the teachings of Derek Prince, compiled in a devotional entitled Declaring God's Word. A few weeks ago, we read a story that took place while Mr. Prince was in Ireland in which a six-year-old boy was given some potatoes to plant by his parents. Seeing no signs of growth in the first two weeks after planting, the little boy dug the potatoes up to see if they had sprouted. After three or four times of repeatedly digging up the potatoes, they never did grow. Mr. Prince then likens some Christians to that little boy, as we plant our potatoes of faith, then dig them up to see if they are indeed growing, rather than relying on that essence of faith "to let God grow us."

I was doing a bit of "potato digging" myself this week. Rather than allowing God to add in His way and His time, I was looking at my pile of dirt with self-pity and doubt until a dear friend reminded me of our true husbandman. Although husband and husbandman are both derivatives of the same Anglo-Saxon word, in Hebrew the words are completely different. Husbandman means cultivator of soil while husband is one who bonds the household together. Happily, in Christ, we have both.

As I began to exercise faith and obey the Lord my attitude changed. My thinking, speaking and acting were put to right and I was now able to receive God's abundance. There were those blessings which I sometimes take for granted: my family, health, food, clothing, and shelter. Then there were others: the baker giving me an unexpected discount on my purchase, being offered a cup of coffee, the rain holding off long enough for Oleg and the boys to get the planting done while I got a coat of paint on a window, all the while being beautifully serenaded by the rarely seen Grey Catbird, who happily remained in the open. Throughout the day, blessings bumped into me until I was quite overtaken and bombarded by them.

It seems the potatoes were sprouting after all.

Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever. Psalm 23:6

3 comments:

Chef Penny said...

AMEN!

~*~The Family~*~ said...

Great post. It reminds me I need to do more blessing counting in my life.

Mish said...

Thanks for the reminder.
Had a great time at your sister's a couple weeks ago. Her place is so relaxing. Hope I can meet up with her again soon.
Mish