Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Heroes, Herbs and Hummingbirds

All is well here as we wrap up Term Three and are set to begin exams. We are in the midst of large projects -- re-glazing the windows and painting our house -- and by the end of the day my hands ache too much to type. It hasn't been all work and no play though and some highlights include:
Attending our city's monthly downtown celebration. The boys got to throw pottery on a wheel with a local potter, eat Brazilian food and have a thrilling talk about catching bandits with our city's finest.
The annual brewing of Vinegar of the Four Thieves insect and tick repellent. Made from vinegar, rosemary, sage, wormwood, lavender, peppermint and garlic. We get math, science and history plus a good lesson in patience as we daily shake the concoction for two weeks before bottling it up.

I am still giddy from holding a ruby-throated hummingbird. Watching each other through the mudroom window it flew in the door to seemingly get a closer look at me and lost its way out. As there is no accompanying photo, I am including Emily Dickinson's diminutive poem, which captures a hummingbird's movement and presence more than a picture ever could.

A Route of Evanescence

A Route of Evanescence
With a revolving Wheel --
A Resonance of Emerald --
A Rush of Cochineal --
And every Blossom on the Bush
Adjusts its tumbled Head --
The mail from Tunis, probably,
An easy Morning's Ride --

4 comments:

Nick Manson said...

I am giddy for you. We put up a hummingbird feeder outside my front window this year. I didn't know they showed up in Iowa, but we are seeing multiple species. Every time Cole spots one he yells, "Hummingbird!" Have you seen the online videos of people who have trained them to eat out of their hands?

Also, I made my version of your salmon salad last night. Delicious!! Less dill and more mayonnaise next time.

michele said...

My, Ms. Dickinson had quite a vocabulary...I had to look up 3 words...now let's see if I can use them before the day is through... One of my favorite things about "Charlotte Mason"education is that I no longer feel intimidated by poetry but rather enjoy it!

Jeanne said...

What a beautifully tranquil life you lead! Even your insect repellant souns romantic. We just reach for the 'Rid'. Yours probably smells an awful lot better too...

Your hummingbird experience sounds exciting too!

Richele said...

Either you've got the wrong blog or I've given you the wrong idea, Jeanne. I'll be sure to fill you in on some Baburin chaos :)

Yes, we've got hummingbird fever here as well and I think Ms. Dickenson chose words as colorful, exotic and elusive as the bird itself.

Emily Dickenson is actually a neighbor, growing up and living in Amherst, MA. Anyone care to visit her home with me??