Thursday, August 20, 2009

A Charlotte Mason Motto (or Maxim's maxim)

'I am, I ought, I can, I will.' Charlotte Mason considered these words a "beautiful and perfect chain." She encouraged parents to use these "steps on a ladder" of training and fortifying our children with good habits to deliver them from such things as willfulness, laziness or giving in to their emotional appetites (vol.1 p.330).

I was impressed by Sonya Shafer's use of the motto with scripture in her own children's education when I recently attended the All-Day Charlotte Mason Seminar, held in the comfort of my very own home after the kiddies were in bed. Thus the inspiration for the newly made guidepost for our home.


10 comments:

Jeanne said...

Love it.

What text did you use for 'will'?

Do you mind if I do something similar?

Richele said...

Oops, can you tell I'm tired? I used Psalm 119:30 - Sonya's.

"I have chosen the way of truth: Thy judgments have I laid before me."

I would love to have other verses so let me know if you have any. We'll be looking through the year.

Homeschoolmum4Christ said...

Hi Richele,
What about the second part of the following verse?

Saying, Father, if thou be willing, remove this cup from me: nevertheless not my will, but thine, be done. Luke 22:42

Blessings,
Jillian
<><

Homeschoolmum4Christ said...

Hi Richele,
I have an award waiting for you on my blog. ☺
Blessings,
Jillian
<><

rachaelnz said...

Hi Richele,

Thanks for the idea. I am pinching those verses if you don't mind! It's good to put scripture to the motto.

Rachael in NZ

Keri said...

Good words to live by, and posting them within sight, is a great reminder.

Janet said...

I love this motto, and love the way you've incorporated it into your home. Such a great idea!

sarah in the woods said...

I love the application of the CM motto. Wonderful.

{ jamie } said...

Love this. I have that motto in my homeschool notebook, but I love the idea of putting up to actually SEE each day!

Ruby in Montreal said...

What a lovely way to expose a child to the motto! It resonates deeply with me but I have sometimes wondered at whether the girls grasp it at all....

Cheers!
Ruby