Monday, December 21, 2009

The Greatest Gifts

My free time is currently spent exploring the worlds of visual-spatial learners, right-brained thinkers, global learners, and dyslexia. It is somewhat difficult for me to apply a label to my child but the following paragraphs do describe my youngest extremely well:

"Dyslexic people are visual, multi-dimensional thinkers. We are intuitive and highly creative, and excel at hands-on learning. Because we think in pictures, it is sometimes hard for us to understand letters, numbers, symbols, and written words."
-Dyslexia the Gift

DDA goes on to say, "We can learn to read, write and study efficiently when we use methods geared to our unique learning style."

Visual Spatial Resource asks these questions:
-Does your child remember what is seen
but forget what is heard?
-Does your child have a vivid imagination?
-Can your child visualize objects from
multiple perspectives?
-Does your child enjoy solving puzzles and mazes?

Does any of this sound familiar to you? I am wondering what our CM-education will look like as we continue on this fascinating voyage.

6 comments:

Homeschoolmum4Christ said...

Hi Richele,
It sounds as if you'll thoroughly enjoy Charlotte Mason and her philosophy of teaching.

Have a wonderful and blessed Christmas.
Blessings,
Jillian

Ganeida said...

I have a visual/spatial learner ~ & several dyslexics. It's been an interesting journey. As a visual/spatial myself some things actually make sense to me. ☺

Rachel said...

The concept of the visual learner is interesting, isn't it? It opens up a whole new perspective on the subject of teaching.
I'm going to have a good look around Dyslexia The Gift, but here's another article I found on the subject:

http://ezinearticles.com/?Why-a-Bright-Child-Can-Struggle-to-Read-and-How-to-Help&id=1337480

I hope you all have a wonderful Christmas!

Take care,
Rachel.

Richele said...

I do hope you'll share some tips on teaching a visual-spatial learner, Ganeida. Rachel, thank you for the article.

Jillian, I'm seeing that more hands-on activities are necessary for my younger which has us steering further from AO and toward SCM.

I do want to clarify that I'm not diagnosing him with a learning disability, I do see it as a fantastic way in which he has been designed by God. This right-brain-edness (or whatever you want to call it) has been evident since he was much younger. It is clear that I can't expect him to learn the same way his older brother has.

Thanks for your thoughtful comments!

Jeanne said...

It will indeed be an interesting journey!

Merry Christmas, my dear friend to you all.

Talk soon.

Chef Penny said...

I have 2 visual learners and it is lots and lots of hands on activities. I try to get all the senses involved in learning a concept then it sticks. One thing I love about CM is the short lessons. That works well for my visual learners when it's not as hands on as it needs to be. Merry Christmas!

Penny