Friday, March 5, 2010

One Million Arrows - Book Review

Will the world change our children...or will our children change the world?

Max was absorbed in the latest issue of Highlights while Luca sat with a new friend, headsets on, listening to a book on tape. Waiting for him to finish, I perused the library shelf nearby, elated to find an assortment of William Steig books. Knowing Luca would be just as excited, I turned to show him only to find an empty chair. I glanced over at Max, fully expecting to see his little brother peering over his shoulder - no Luca.

"Where's your brother?" I asked, scanning the breadth of the children's section. Instructing Max to stay where he was, I reported to the librarian that I could not find my youngest son - my voice sounding unfamiliar while everyone seemed to move in slow motion. Calling on the Lord, I ran up the stairs issuing a hundred prayers at once. As I rounded the corner my eyes met the wide-eyed, tear-filled stare of my five-year-old. He was in my arms in an instant.

On our way home, I pondered how I was able to lose my child while standing within an arm's reach of him. In the days that followed the question took on a deeper significance as I read Julie Ferwerda's book, One Million Arrows, and began to consider the possibility of losing my children to the world. As a home schooling mom, I am with my children practically 24/7 but how available to them am I really? And what about the children around the world that are lost and have no one anxiously searching for them?

Julie encourages us to not underestimate what God can do through our kids now - giving examples of God's frequent use of young people as world-changers. During our vacation in Maine I was amazed to hear Luca telling his new playmates the Good News of Jesus at each beach we visited.

Those of us familiar with Charlotte Mason know the importance of "living books" - those written by an author passionate about her subject and can make it come alive. Julie Ferwerda is such an author so I'll move out of the way and let her tell you about One Million Arrows in her own words:

"Time is short and lives are at stake. Right now, God is inviting our families to become part of a bigger story—a vision that will engage hearts to make a radical difference. One Million Arrows is an inspirational call to raise our kids to impact their culture, community, and world for Christ. If we want our kids to discover their purpose, if we want them to live with passion for the Kingdom, if we want our family to go down in His-Story, accept the mission...and leave a mark for eternity."

Teaching our kids to serve rather than be served is part of the arrow-shaping process spoken of in "One Million Arrows." Here Max and Luca learn to hone arrows by volunteering child-care at a local ministry twice a month.

I do hope you will join the vision of one million arrows for God along with me. Read an excerpt or learn how to order and find out more about how all proceeds for the sale of the book are designated for international orphan ministry. Let's not lose our arrows but see them launched by the hands of a Mighty Man!

8 comments:

Jeanne said...

Glad everything turned out okay. I got lost once as a child of about Luca's age. I remember it vividly to this day. So do my parents...

The book sounds marvellous. I shall keep a look out.

By the way, that photo is just delicious!!

Footprints Diary said...

Hi Richele,
I remember my brother disappearing on a beach in Adelaide when he was about two, and this was about the time that the Beaumont children disappeared. My mum was frantic!

I remember it vividly!

I'm glad that you found Luca safe and well. :D

Have a wonderful and blessed weekend,
Jillian ♥

juliecache said...

love the new profile picture!

juliecache said...

my reading list keeps getting longer. thank you for the review. I do rely on recommendations, but again, there are so many good books that I feel I'll never read them all soon enough!

Nick Manson said...

On that infamous trip we took to Chicago, apparently we (you, Mic, Steve, and I) went missing in Marshall Field for quiet awhile. I don't think any of us kids were aware that we were lost, however.

Isn't it great that "Hightlights" magazine still exists? Does "Games" too?

Also, I think the new "Alice in Wonderland" would please you.

Chef Penny said...

What a great thought! We are working on serving others this year too. It is my prayer that my children will make it a habit by years' end. I will have to check out the book! Thanks!

Jill said...

I lost my son on an empty beach last year while my mom and husband were standing right by me. I couldn't breathe, I couldn't run, I was frozen in fear. He'd run to find a friend who was nearly out of our eyesight (but obviously within his eyesight). Wow! What a frantic moment. I'm so thankful for God's grace in moments like those.

Thanks for the book review. I look forward to looking it over, it sounds perfect!

Jill

Renelle said...

Great post Richele, I'll find that book. I lost carter when he was 3 from our own home. We lived on a 60acre farm and knew that we were going to a neighbours for Morning Tea, but he didn't want to wait. As I emptied the washing machine, he climbed on a chair got the screen door key down unlocked ran down the stairs down the driveway over the closed farm gate and down the road in nothing but a pair of rubber boots, singlet and undies. I was beside myself looking in water troughs and ponds in bushes -he was gone. I called my neighbour in tears she said she'd start looking and just as she hung up the phone he knocked on her door and asked for a drink - it is a 30 min walk and was the middle of summer.