Friday, April 16, 2010

Simply Wonderful Charlotte Mason

I'll admit I am a Charlotte Mason geek. I read Parents' Review articles for fun so you can imagine what a treat it was for me to recently attend a 2-day Simply Charlotte Mason Seminar in Jacksonville, Florida with my friend Chaunci.
Oh, there we are together with all those Simply Charlotte Mason books. I liken them to cook books that help you prepare the feast you spread before your child.

Remember, there are no CM'ers around my part of the woods and no Chaunci as well, so I met my friend partway in Charleston, South Carolina. There I was completely and unabashedly spoiled by her and her entire family. I thawed out from the long New England winter by enjoying a walk on the beach and shrimp & grits prepared by Chaunci's husband. The next morning we drove down to Florida fueled by strong coffee, hot Krispy Kreme donuts and four hours of uninterrupted conversation.
CM moms receiving counsel, advice and encouragement from Sonya Shafer of Simply Charlotte Mason and Intentional Parents.

There were so many practical how-to's during these seminars. As we moved through the methods we were the students, participating in picture study, enjoying poetry together, and using prepared dictation for spelling. We narrated first-hand, starting with a paragraph and advancing to the re-telling of five pages. Then it was on to habit training with a session on Laying Down the Rails.

The Books & Things seminar was equally appreciated with examples of how to destroy your child's love of learning (ouch!), and a comparison of twaddle, textbook, direct questions and a living book. We were led through Swedish drill amidst giggles and laughter and then inspired by Sonya's husband, John, to not lose our own love of learning as he shared his own drawing lessons.

Sonya said we would "find the Charlotte Mason way of teaching to be simple yet profound." I felt that way about Sonya's delivery of CM as well and returned home refreshed and ready for Term Three and teaching Luca to read using the Charlotte Mason method.

13 comments:

Jeanne said...

JEALOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Renelle said...

I am so jealous as well. AArrgghh! Homeschooling is still relatively new in Australia compared to the US. There's no seminars around my neck of the woods or even a days drive away that I know of. I'm so glad that it was a wonderful treat for you. Please keep sharing!
Blessings

Richele said...

Oh no, no, no, no! I never want a post to make anyone jealous so I specifically left out lots of good stuff. You are simply not allowed.

This was a huge blessing bestowed upon me by my dh. The closest CMer I've found is six hours away. I had to travel down the entire coast to attend.

Richele said...

That meant planes, trains and automobiles.

~Maria said...

What a wonderful husband you have and what a very special blessing to experience that!! I am SO happy for you! :)

Footprints Diary said...

Hi Richele,
What a wonderful blessing for you and your friend!

CM is the way of life that I would have chosen, had I known about it. :)

Have a wonderful and blessed weekend,
Love, Jillian ♥

Jeanne said...

It's not too late, Jillian!!

Melissa said...

"...cook books that help you prepare the feast you spread before your child." Loved this!
Sounds amazing...SOOOOO glad you got to go and feast yourself!!!

Renelle said...

Planes, trains and automobiles all that time to read and reflect, aaahhhh to stare out a window....I can just imagine all you adults doing your Swedish drill hehehe

Richele said...

I love CM! I am a CM geek also! Lovely post!

Oh and when you said planes, trains and automobiles, I had to laugh thinking of the Steve Martin movie. lol.

Blessings!

Amy in Peru said...

OHHHH. I've done the seminar by DVD... clearly not as good. but still good! I'm SO thankful that you got to go!!

I'm going to have to come back and read that reading post once you have it up... I saw it in my reader, but can't link to it yet... sneaky!

amy in peru

Karin Katherine said...

That is amazing! Who knew there was even such a thing?! Glad you got to go. Now, you'll have to share your nuggets!

The Glasers said...

I prefer the term "Charlotte Mason kindred spirits" . . . others call us a cult! LOL :-)