Saturday, May 8, 2010

A Russian-American Homeschool

Charlotte Mason called home the "best growing-ground" for children. Since I love seeing what makes your home education unique, I thought you might also be interested in seeing a bit of the Russian side of ours.

This might be a bit cliche' but it's true - If you came over right now you would find caviar in our refrigerator. Not for long though as tomorrow (May 9) we celebrate "Victory Day" or День Победы, the day marking Nazi capitulation to the Soviet Union in WWII, known as the Great Patriotic War in Russia. A staggering 27 million Soviet lives were lost and no Soviet family was left untouched.

I love the Russian Avant-Garde...and I love coffee.

Children drink tea as well. Here we're having a crab-apple tort with our tea and reading Masha & the Medved', a very little bit like Goldilocks & the Three Bears.

Our official schooling is done in English but once school time is over we primarily speak Russian at home. The children's poems of Agnia Barto and Korney Chukovsky are some of our favorites. Also pictured is Maxim's handwriting book.

At any given time one of us is sporting a Russian sailor shirt. As I look over the monitor my husband is wearing his.

Blini and black currant preserves. You can read more about our Russian Kitchen if you like. I love to cook lots of different cuisine but about 50% of our diet is traditional Russian. Many things from my midwest upbringing translated easily enough into Russian cooking. Pickle soup was not one of them.

Play things differ as well. Here is one of the acorn people the boys made with their papa. The little guy is standing in front of a Kamaz dump truck.

There you have it, a very small sampling of the Russian side of our "growing ground".

11 comments:

Jeanne said...

Ooh, I have a shirt like that!!!!!!!

I did not know how much of your time was spent being 'Russian'. Rushing, да - Russian, нет.(Hee Hee)

I so so much want to come and stay with you...

Thanks for sharing this. Sigh, we are so WASPish and boring around here.

Renelle said...

I love to hear about your unique family and homeschool, please tell us more....I would also love to hear how you met your Russian husband one day (what do you think...maybe?)Blessings to you all and a have a good "Victory Day" tommorrow.

Jeanne said...

Ps Happy Victory Day! Jemimah adores bubbles (her name for caviar!)

juliecache said...

my friend here in town has a similar homeschool. she is russian and her husband is from new york.

Ruby said...

Hello Richelle,
I was only hearing about the 65 year Victory Day celebrations in Russian this morning on the news. We forget here what it must have been like for countries like Russia during the war.
We have a number of home school friends who speak two languages. What a rich experience for your boys.
I'm with Renelle ~ would love to hear your tale of Russian romance!

Jeanne, you are very clever with your characters of other languages!

Erin Neiner said...

HAPPY VICTORY DAY, to our Russian friends! I find it wonderful how this day fell on Mothers day this year---how delightfully ironic, as every day as a mother there is some small victory to be celebrated!

Not sure about the caviar, though. Did the boys have some? :)

Amy in Peru said...

when your comment came into my e-mail box, this page was still open in my browser, I've been meaning to read it all day :)

thank you SO much for sharing this! I am so glad to know something more about you!!!!!!!
so neat. I didn't realize your family was bilingual! Okay, I'm sorry if this labels me as inattentive... I really am glad to be knowing you more though :)

amy in peru

Annie Kate said...

How successfully you are combining the two cultures! It is a very difficult task, I find, but you're a great inspiration.

Annie Kate

Footprints Diary said...

Richele, how well you have combined your Russian/ American qualities! Your children will be truly blessed.

We're Aussie right down to the core.

Have a wonderful weekend,
Love and blessings, Jillian ♥

Amber said...

That's neat that your children are growing up bilingual, and I enjoyed seeing the Russian things.

Thanks for your thoughts on my blog. Do you have a particular resource you would recommend for the study concerning the gods and the plagues of Egypt?

Anonymous said...

Stumbled across your site looking for homeschooling Russian ideas. I visited Russia in a blitz over 4 years through my work company who hoped to start a site there. It fell through but in the 4 years I was there (off and on, 3 weeks there, 1 week US) I learned enough English to be too far past beginning travel books but my infant-4.5 year old was fluent in Russian due to care givers, my older 8 year old never learned to even say more than 3 words though. I try but my Russian is not great and Pittsburgh PA is not the hotbed of Russian Language classes (unless you are university age)...sigh...getting discouraged as my younger son has lost most of his spoken language in 1 years and this morning was mangling good morning! He seems to have passive language still as watches a few movies only in Russian and follows my commands. I was hoping to start teaching him to read in Russian as part of homeschool.

It's hard because I'm not a great speaker and my vocab is weak but I can read children's chapter books. I'd probably breeze through a 1st grade reading class in Russia, but fail 2nd grade. Just not sure where to expand my skills. Those I've met who do speak Russian are not interested in forming playgroups...whaa

Sorry to gripe on your blog about my problems. I was just so excited to find a Russian-AMerican Homeschool!