Wednesday, June 2, 2010

He Knows

Arriving home from work, my husband informed me that he wanted to take a drive up the mountain. He then asked me to decide whether I wanted to come along or stay home and relax while he went with the boys.

"Oh, the things I could do with that time..." I began to think, "but Lord, what would you have me do?" Before I finished my thought I knew I needed to go, knew I wanted to spend this time with my husband, knew we needed to be together as a family.

While we drove, the boys sang in the back and we were able to discuss some specific character issues we had noticed needed tending to in each of them. As we ascended the mountain this was our view:


Nothing. We were enveloped in a cloud as the road ahead disappeared. We crawled along in our gray cocoon and I felt myself being led back to Egypt...

"Lord, did I misunderstand? Did You really want us to come here? Oh, Lord, please forgive me for my lack of trust. How can I even think about the weeds in my children's hearts when my own heart-garden is so overgrown."

Shh. Do you remember the hymn you like to sing to Me?

Suddenly, some of the words to Mary Brainard's hymn popped into my head but I could not remember its beginning.

"I'd rather walk in the dark with God
Than go alone in the light;
I'd rather walk by faith with Him
Than go alone by sight."

Yes, that is it, Richele. I will instruct thee and teach thee in the way which thou shalt go: I will guide thee with mine eye.

Overcome by the image of being guided with the eye of the Lord, I grabbed my Bible from my bag and shared the entirety of Psalm 32 with my family. The last verse brought shouts of joy and praise: Be glad in the LORD, and rejoice, ye righteous: and shout for joy, all ye that are upright in heart.

We parked the car at the top and the guys got out to explore. They returned a short time later to inform me that there still was nothing to be seen.

Slowly making our way back down the mountain, my husband reached over and squeezed my hand, apologizing for the lack of breathtaking views. I smiled and gave a squeeze back, contemplating the One who views the ends of the earth and sees everything under the heavens and all that we had really seen. Then we rounded a corner and were greeted by this sweet and glad surprise:


I know not what awaits me,
God kindly veils my eyes,
And o'er each step of my onward way
He makes new scenes to rise;
And every joy He sends me comes
A sweet and glad surprise.

9 comments:

Renelle said...

That's just what I needed to hear at the moment. Thankyou Richele for being open to the Lords leading your life. Blessings, Renelle

Amy in Peru said...

isn't it the MOST amazing thing to come out of a fog?! the colors are astounding that light and the shadow it almost hurts, it's so beautiful. thanks for the reminder ;)

amy in peru

Jeanne said...

Amen. A Sweet and Glad Surprise.

I'm so glad you listened, my friend.

Melissa said...

He is so worthy of our trust...
Glad you were patient and got to see such amazing beauty!

~Maria said...

Beautiful in so many ways. So often we are reminded of what He has in store for us....usually when we let go of trying to do things OUR way. I can SO relate. Thank you for sharing!

Laura Lou said...

Needed that reminder today, when I've allowed the things we don't have to rob me of the joy from what we do.

Thank you.

juliecache said...

Wow. what a testimony.

Sue said...

It always amazes me when I realize that God loves to give me little surprises - evidences of His love. You got a beautiful visual of what it's like when He helps us to break through a fog! What a gorgeous view!

Christian Homeschooling said...

Wow...that is certainly a gorgeous view!!!