Thursday, August 5, 2010

Conversations

Me and my boys camping in Maine.

If God leads you to walk a way that you know, it will not benefit you as much as if He would lead you to take the way that you do not know. This forces you to have hundreds and thousands of conversations with Him, resulting in a journey that is an everlasting memorial between you and Him. -Watchman Nee

To say our summer has gone not quite according to my plan would be a gross understatement. Though the names and details are different, I'm pretty sure your summer has gone the same way as I whole-heartedly believe the Lord longs for us to talk with Him.

Along the unfamiliar path we have been greatly surprised by joy (to borrow C.S. Lewis' autobiographical title) in the form of two wonderfully unplanned additions to our family. Our originals, of course, love having big brothers and I am amazed at the range of blessings, thoughts, feelings and experiences granted through the opening of our home and hearts. The joy will be met by sorrow as they return to their university in Russia in September - buoyed by hopes for their return next summer.

Those that know me, know I'm not a summer blogger - after all, I now have five guys to keep up with in kayaking, canoeing, and camping (not to mention feeding).

As the apples ripen and leaves begin to turn golden, I'd love to know if your journey this summer has also resulted in that everlasting memorial between you and the great I Am.

7 comments:

Ruby said...

Hi Richele,
Of course it is Winter here:-) Where we live you would hardly know it, a few cold nights but mostly glorius sunny weather. Kayaking and camping sounds great....and I can only imagine the amount of food these guys have tucked away over the period!!

Suzanne said...

Thanks for that sweet reminder that we grow closer to the Lord in the midst of the unknown . I look forward to receiving more encouragement from your blog.

Brenna said...

Enjoyed browsing your blog today! We are a CM family as well.

Renelle said...

Hi Richele, I've missed you! Our summer is over Christmas here so we have a doble wammy of good feelings and time here in Australia. We love our Christmas here in the summer. We are in the last month of Winter now and have been homeschooling over your summer but I am learning more that I cannot leave this Homeschooling adventure to chance or wims but must ask my Lord to lead me each day. I find when I talk with my God and trust through the day he gives me the strength of patience, insight and the right words for the day that I could not possibly conjure on my own. I love my God he gives me so much each day to guide and love my little family with. We have just spent a weekend with family and my children (&I) feel heartache just missing being with them. We did nothing but get together and laugh & play it was terrific. So I can imagine your little boys will miss the big boys terribly. Blessings to you and all yours.

Jeanne said...

Oh it is just lovely seeing a photo of you all together like that, my dear friend.

Lobster is not exactly standard camping fare around our neck of the woods. I do hope at least one of those bottles holds a nice Sauvignon Blanc...

I can't wait to 'chat' with you again. It seems so long since we've spoken. I still haven't forgotten that I'm behind on birthday pressies either. Please be patient with me.

Richele said...

I had meant to put summer/winter for my Aussie friends - whom I have missed. It is hard for this Iowa girl to have winter without snow - though I lived it for three years in Italy.

Jeanne, one of those bottles was an Australian Pinot Grigio - the rest were Maine blueberry sodas as well as a local brew.

You guys should have seen me throwing those lobsters into the pot!

Thank you all for your sweet comments. I enjoy this voyage more knowing you are on it with me.

...

Melissa said...

Oh me, oh my....I wish we were camping or canoeing...it has been too hot to do much of anything for about half of our summer break! This is the 3rd week in triple digits! Humid, sticky triple digits! :o)


Our summer has brought quite the spiritual journey...my husband and I have had lots of questions about things that still have no answers...however, we have been re-discovering that He IS the answer!