Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Knowledge Day

Those summer haircuts have grown out and tomorrow begins a new school year. In Russia (and in our household) September 1st is known as Students' Day or Knowledge Day - День Знаний. Today marks the end of summer and tomorrow the beginning of fall in Russia as well as our little corner of the world. Though we won't have all the bell-ringing and ceremonies, it is a very big deal here as Luca begins 1st Grade.

Luca found this nest which had been blown out of our crabapple tree. We believe it had been used by White-breasted Nuthatch as the boys had found an egg casing under the tree earlier in the summer. Most exciting was that it was lined with the boys' hair from aforementioned haircuts!

One of the things that drew us to a Charlotte Mason education was the importance of Nature Study and all those hours in the fresh air. She tells us that It is infinitely well worth the mother's while to take some pains every day to secure, in the first place, that her children spend hours daily amongst rural and natural objects; and, in the second place, to infuse into them, or rather, to cherish in them, the love of investigation. Vol. 1, p. 71

Quite honestly, the pains are mine alone to overcome when the pull is strong to stay indoors where I have the laundry to fold, the closets to organize or the computer work to attend or to distract. It is all cherishing as God has already given my children the love of investigation.

This is the necklace that hangs on the wall next to my computer screen. Inspired by some pony beads a friend had shown me I recently began making objects that visualize the importance of redeeming the time I have with my children (Ephesians 5: 14-17).

The silver box represents how my children are a gift from the Lord (Psalm 127). The blue beads are those first few precious years and the multi-colored beads show the school years. The multitude of brown beads represent the promise - that it may be well with my children for many years after they have left our nest (Ephesians 6:1-3).

No matter which hemisphere you are in, my prayer for you will be blessings and enjoyment of the new season and many, many hours in the out-of-doors!

7 comments:

Heather said...

I came to find your posted goals from last year to inspire me as I plan for this year. I'm fighting a bit of despair as I wonder how on earth I will get anything of substance done with our seven year old with two busy busy little baby girls exploring life in our home. But I pray and pray and pray some more as I work.
Thanks for providing some more inspiration.
I love the nest with your boys' hair. What a find, an absolute treasure! Which I'm sure is what the nuthatch couple was thinking too! :)

Ruby said...

Have a wonderful new school year, filled with many adventures and amazing learning moments!
Little boys (and girls) love nests, don't they. We have a little collection over the years.
Lovely symbolism in your beads, too.

Jeanne said...

Your beads are precious.

Happy Happy Knowledge Day to you all, especially your big First Grade Boy. How exciting, Luca!!

I will be wearing my Russian stripy top in recognition of День Знаний in your Peaceful Home today.

Love you all.

Melissa said...

Happy Knowledge Day (belated) to you! You are an amazing super-rockin-awesome-homeschoolin-necklace makin-Senorita!

"One of the things that drew us to a Charlotte Mason education was the importance of Nature Study and all those hours in the fresh air." - me too, sister, me too! Hope your week has been fantastical (and, yes, that is a word...it's like fantastic, but more so! LOL)!

joyfulmum said...

Richele, thanks for stopping by my blog earlier! I think I've seen you comment on Jeanne's blog so came over to have a look. I agree with the hours out doors and the pull of the laundry and other things that keep me inside:)
We have just entered spring so we've been going out a bit more!
Happy Knowledge Day! and I love the idea of those beads!
Yes indeed, I want to treasure all the time I have with my dd as I know she'll grow up all too soon!

Jimmie said...

The necklace is beautiful. I love the symbolism there.

Perfect Helen said...

Taking into account the fact that this blog post is dedicated to kids so I just would like to ask opinions of experienced parents what they think about such educational iPhone game as Kinder Hangman – http://sharkfuel.com/kinderhangman.html I am currently preparing my children for school. Is this game really so helpful for developing a vocabulary of kids? I am a mother myself, so just would like to know if this game can help me repare kids for school? Any ideas? Will it be a good present for kids? Your opinion is highly appreciated. Thanks.