Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Inspired Work Spaces

When the days turn warmer and the longings to be outside increase, I pack up a basket of supplies and work beneath the bowers of our great White Pine. This arrangement worked well until last autumn. Heading to a conference with my friend Carie, she suggested we arrive early so we could picnic and hike at Walden Pond first. Good friend. After a visit to Henry David Thoreau's cabin my work space didn't quite cut it any longer.

Carie inside Thoreau's simple cabin after our hike.

I began wondering just how long it would be before Maxim and Luca could build a writer's shed for their mother. When I saw Roald Dahl's Gipsy House over at re-nest I doubled their handicrafts.

Can't you just see yourself writing out next year's homeschool plans in here?

Does the romance lie in the hearkening back to the carefree days of childhood? Back then play was your work and it was accomplished in a tree house or fort. Or is it the idea that with a few hours of truly uninterrupted time, our thoughts would flow forth onto the paper like a living stream.

If you like, take a moment to visit the writing huts of Mark Twain, George Bernard Shaw and more and let me know what you think. Which work space would inspire you most and why?

12 comments:

Renelle said...

I sense an aspiring writer coming through this post, dreams of one's own writing hut perhaps (they were pretty pokey)I see you like IKEA? Maybe the chicken coop will be ample space til the dear chicky's arrive?
I'm caught between Mark Twain's writing hut and Pollan's cabin mmmmm ANYTHING would do me!
Renelle

Richele said...

I'm hoping the chicks don't arrive before the coop or they'll be sharing my space rather than vice versa. Yes, IKEA is too good to not mix in and with a college town close by, the second hand is abundant.

MommaMindy said...

I so LONG for a little writing shack! Hubby and I are planning to build a backyard playhouse this summer, but I plan a non-hostile takeover when the kids outgrow it. Although the grandkids might not like that idea...

Nick Manson said...

Writing or not, if I could plop Mark Twain's hut next to an ocean, I'd happily live in it full time. Nothing more would be necessary for me to die happy.

amy in peru said...

yes. i do think i could write if i only had a gipsy house... i can almost write just thinking about being in it...

amy outta peru {temporarily}

Melissa said...

I have to say that I adore how Virgina Woolf's writing shed is nearly hidden and tucked away a bit in the trees...

Although, I'm afraid for this season in my life it would be 30% writing shed and 70% Reading Shed!!!

p.s. shed or no shed, you, my dear, are already a writer...

Erin Neiner said...

Oh, that yellow door...it's calling my name!!!

Do you think this would be an ample request for Mothers Day? ;)

Chef Penny said...

My husband is building a playhouse for Madison for her birthday in June. Do you think she will let me use her "clubhouse"? lol

Sarah said...

Yes, yes, yes to a place where the writer within is unlocked. My internet loading at snail pace at the moment so I will be back in a weeks time to see those writers shacks...can't wait! xxx

Sarah said...

Have just come back from browsing through those huts! Very, very cool indeed! :-D x

Traci's Teaching Times said...

I would so love to have a place that I could slip in so that I could write. As for nowI suppose my back porch will have to do, or when we go out in to nature. While my family rambles, I write.

Charlotte Mason in the City said...

Oh, that was fun to look through the writing huts. I definitely like Dylan Thomas' space best. I like that it's a bit messy, but sparse at the same time. I like the comfortable shabbiness, and I long to work next to a window that lets in daylight. For now, I have a little corner in my little home) that I call my scriptorium. Scriptorium isn't quiet an accurate term, but I like the sound of the word, and nobody has ever corrected me anyway. Too bad my little space is not near a window.

Love this stuff...great post.