Tuesday, May 31, 2011

The Right Place at the Right Time

If you've been with me awhile you know that I'm a seasonal blogger and the warmer the weather the fewer the posts. This winter seems to have been an especially long one, making it even harder to contain us indoors. We hope you are enjoying your new season as well. Here's a bit of what we've been up...



What's on My Mind:
Charlotte Mason, discussing how the knowledge gathering of children illuminates their knowledge of God, shares with us her experience of listening to a group of thirteen-year-old girls narrate after hearing an essay on and a number of poems by George Herbert for the first time:

I felt humbled before the children knowing myself incapable of such immediate and rapid apprehension of several pages of new matter including poems whose intention is by no means obvious.


If you've ever turned to your eight-year-old while puzzling over the Sunday crossword or rescued by a four-year-old as you flounder with tree identification, that quote might make you happy, too. Even better, because it really isn't about me (or her) Charlotte continues:

In such ways the great thoughts of great thinkers illuminate children and they grow in knowledge, chiefly the knowledge of God.



What's on the project table: Building a hot air balloon from The American Boy's Handy Book by Daniel Carter Beard. We hope she'll make her maiden voyage soon.


What we're listening to: "Hot Cross Buns" on violin and "Day Tripper" on guitar. Not at the same time, thankfully. Really, it's all sweet to a mom's ears.


What we're reading: Chick Days - An Absolute Beginner's Guide to Raising Chickens from Hatchlings to Laying Hens by Jenna Woginrich. Why stop at eggs - even our books are locally grown as Storey Publishing is just up the road (they published Clare Walker Leslie's Keeping a Nature Journal as well as her others which we adore). A fun and practical book that gives us the information we need with brilliant photographs from people that really love their chickens and know you will love yours as well.

10 comments:

joyfulmum said...

Lovely to hear from you again! I was wondering about you but didn't want to come by and hassle you with my comments about where you were:) Now I know...:)
Great to see all the fun stuff the kids have been doing and please do tell us how the hot air balloon goes?

Richele said...

It wouldn't have been a hassle Rosemary. Usually Jeanne gives me a little nudge if I go past two weeks but guess she let me 'sleep in.'

Ruby said...

Hello Richele, as always life looks to be fun and interesting at your place! We are enjoying a splendid Central Queensland Winter here (mild and gloriously sunny!)

Barb-Harmony Art Mom said...

I'm feeling the pull of the outdoors as well...longer days and so many interesting things to occupy me. Loved seeing your post....we made the hot air balloons when the boys were younger and they still talk about them. :)

Enjoy!

Sally said...

I have been a reader of yours for some time, but rarely ever comment (I am usually reading while nursing, so typing one-handed usually gets very frustrating!) I have been gone for a week and was pleased to see what you have all been doing as the weather warms. Enjoy this weather and all of God's blessings!

Heather said...

What wonderful inspiring ideas, Richele. I'm glad you let us in on the doings. :)

Douglas Dahl said...

Thanks for the post. It is amazing what children can absorb and in such rapidity and with such joy. I just read the other day how young children with ear implants can learn and catch up while older adults are almost not capable of doing so.

jasonjack said...

wow nice thanks for the post,

Melissa said...

I love my book The Backyard Homestead from Storey Publishing! Love seeing your chickens! We're looking at plans for a coop as we 'speak'! We have tons on the other side of the pasture at Nanny's house but we want some of our own :)
The hot-air balloon looks like SO much fun! Miss u!

Jeanne said...

I need you to write another post!! I'm having withdrawals!!

(Say please...)

Please.